Blog 1/29/2018

“You cannot soar with eagles while you are pecking around with pigeons”

 

It’s an old saying, but it is true.
 

The proximity and frequency you spend with people directly impacts your behavior and your life.

It’s why you’ll see an entire family of people who are overweight who will claim that their fat gain is “genetic”. Because every person in their family is fat, it HAS to be genetic, right?

When you actually look at the numbers of genetic factors contributing to obesity, the actual percentage of people with a true genetic condition are estimated to be around 6%. What accounts for the other 94%?


(Most likely) Epigenetic factors.
 

Epigenetics is defined as: the study of changes in organisms caused by modification of gene expression rather than alteration of the genetic code itself.

 

Things that control your epigenetics-- what you eat, where you live, who you interact with, when you sleep, how you exercise, and even aging – all of these can eventually cause chemical modifications around the genes that will turn those genes on or off over time.

The three above I've italicized? What you eat, who you live with, and when/how much you sleep are the "holy trinity" of long term health and wellness. 

This is both terrifying and wonderful, because we have WAY more direct control over our minds and bodies than we previously thought. We aren’t just victims. We aren’t just affects of life. Not by products of things we cannot control.

The great news? We don’t have to have all our success and victory in one day or one session. Just one moment at a time. One second at a time. Focused on the future and where we want to get to, not simply where we FEEL like going in that moment.

 

It is simple, but not easy! One day at a time, one percent better at a time, That’s how we will know victory!

Be an eagle that seeks out other eagles! Don't peck with the pigeons!


Let’s go be awesome this week!!

Evan

Evan Derveloy1 Comment